This post is all about the best homemade spider repellant for your car.
Spiders are one of the most feared pests. They’re creepy, they’re crawly, and they can sometimes be dangerous. If you’re someone who hates spiders, the thought of them getting into your car is enough to make your skin crawl.
Fortunately, there are a few things you can do to keep them out. One of the best ways to keep spiders out of your car is to make your own spider repellent.
Related: How To Get A Spider Out Of Your Car And Survive To Tell The Story
You can make this homemade spider repellant in 5 minutes and you’ll only need a few things that you probably already have around the house.
Let’s get started!
What Spiders Hate a.k.a What To Put In Your Repellant
To understand why this homemade spider repellant works, we need to talk about all the things spiders hate.
Spiders hate the smell of citrus fruits like lemons, oranges, and grapefruits.
This is because the essential oils in citrus fruits contain compounds like limonene and citronellal that repel them. These compounds overpower the natural scent that spiders use to find prey, so they avoid citrus smells.
You can use essential oils or fresh citrus peels to repel spiders.
Vinegar is another ingredient that spiders hate. Just like with citrus, the smell of vinegar overwhelms the scent that spiders use to find prey, so they avoid it.
You can use white vinegar or apple cider vinegar in your repellant.
Peppermint is a strong smelling herb that spiders can’t stand.
Again, the smell of peppermint is too strong for spiders and overwhelms their senses. This makes it difficult for them to find food and leads them to avoid areas where peppermint is present.
For your spray, you can use essential oils or fresh peppermint leaves to repel spiders.
Cinnamon is yet another spice that spidey-senses find overwhelming. You can use ground cinnamon or cinnamon oil to repel spiders.
How To Make A Homemade Spider Repellant For Your Car
Now that you know what ingredients to use, let’s talk about how to make a homemade spider repellant for your car.
You will need:
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of white vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 10 drops of lemon essential oil or 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon peel
- 10 drops of peppermint essential oil or 2 tablespoons of fresh peppermint leaves
- 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon or cinnamon oil
- A spray bottle
- Combine equal parts water and vinegar in a spray bottle.
- Add 10-15 drops of your chosen essential oil(s).
- Shake well to combine all of the ingredients.
- Spray around the perimeter of your car doors and windows. If you don’t mind the smell, you can also spray your car mats, under the seats and the trunk.
- Reapply as needed, especially after it rains.
- Enjoy your spider-free ride!
Spiders are no match for this homemade repellent! By combining vinegar, water, and essential oils, you can keep spiders out of your car for good.
The best part is that this repellent is safe to use around children and pets. So, if you’re looking for a natural and effective way to keep spiders at bay, give this homemade repellant a try!